dinsdag 31 maart 2009

Nederlandse première St. John Passion - MacMillan

Vrijdag 3 en zondag 5 april 2009 speelt het Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest geen Bach, maar St. John Passion van James MacMillan. Een Nederlandse première o.l.v. Sir Colin Davis met Tommi Hakala (bariton).
James MacMillan: After writing my Seven Last Words from the Cross in 1993, I always knew that the inevitable next step would be a setting of one of the Gospel Passion narratives. It has since been my ambition to tackle such a project. I decided on St John's text, as it is the version with which I am most intimately acquainted, hearing it recited or sung every Good Friday in the Catholic liturgy. In fact, since my student days in Edinburgh I have regularly participated in the Gregorian or Dominican chanting of the Crucifixion story on that day. This simple music has had an overriding influence on the shape and character of my own Passion setting.
Meer info over St. John Passion:
- Interview met MacMillan;
- muziekfragment;
- kaartverkoop.

Zie over MacMillan ook het eerdere bericht.